I grow my basil plants in pots; they seem to grow better. They are huge right now, however something is eating them from the tip down. I don’t see anything on the plants.
They are also starting to bloom purple and white flowers. You are supposed to pick the flowers off so the plant doesn’t go to seed.
What can you do with basil? It is good in tomato dishes and on homemade pizza. You can put it in white wine vinegar with other herbs to use for salads and cooking. It is great in a caprice salad with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese slices. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on top. Also, of course, you can make pesto which freezes really well. You can also dry it or freeze it to use in cooking. I like to get a bunch and tie it with a rubber band and hang it where you can smell it. It has a pungent odor
There are also health benefits. It helps inflammation, supports digestion and protects cells from damage. It helps lower blood pressure and regulates blood sugar.Try to eat more basil!
Basil is a tender annual. It does not like cold weather and withers up at the first sign of cold. It must be planted every year in colder climates.
I have to do some of these things with my basil because I have a lot of it!
Note; I used to teach herb classes in adult education in the schools. People used to sign up for them and I loved teaching the classes. I also had classes making wreaths out of dried herbs. I met a lot of nice women in these classes!



No comments:
Post a Comment